In today’s modern age, finding a diet program that features the latest technology and can sometimes seem difficult.
Many programs are stuck in the past, but one stands out for it’s perfect blend of the latest technological features, combined with proven weight loss methods, to form the perfect modern-day diet solution.
It’s called Noom, and it’s a diet and coaching app that is currently taking over the internet .
In this Noom review we’re going to detail what is causing all of this excitement. Keep reading, and you’ll learn exactly what the Noom program is, how it works, how much it’s going to cost to join, plus you’ll hear from those who have put it to the test.
If you’ve been looking for the latest details on Noom, then this review is for you.
What is Noom?
Noom is a diet app that focuses on helping you make lasting changes to your diet and health . This means, you’ll learn how to lose weight, permanently.
Quick fix diets? They’re a thing of the past with Noom.
How do they make this happen?
It all takes place on the Noom Coach app. The app will be your go-to resource for all things Noom. Talk to your Noom coach, interact with the people in your Noom group, and get exercise and eating plans.
The Noom app is where it’s all at.
How Does it Work?
Noom’s diet program is entirely online, via the app that you will use on your smartphone or tablet. There are a few steps you’ll need to undertake to get started, however.
1. Complete Your Diet Profile
The first thing you’ll need to do to get started is to complete your diet profile . This series of questions helps them get a better idea of how much weight you want to lose, any health issues you might have, and about how long it’s going to take to reach your goal weight.
The following is an example of some the questions you’ll be asked:
- Your Age
- Goal Weight
- Other Diets You’ve Tried
- Your Current Activity Level
- Whether or Not You’re Diabetic
- Have You Taken Antibiotics in the Last 2 Years
- Do You Have any Serious Back Issues?
- Are You Risk for Certain Diseases?
- What Your Daily Schedule Looks Like
- Do You Cook or Eat at Restaurants mostly?
- Where do You Live: The Country, Suburbs, or a City?
As you answer these questions, their algorithm is at work developing a diet plan built just for you.
2. Get Assigned a Daily Calorie Level for Reaching Your Weight Loss Goal
Based on the information you’ve provided, including your goal weight, Noom will tell you how many calories you should eat per day to reach your goal.
3. Meet Your Coach
After completing your profile, you’ll also be assigned a Noom Coach. This person will be your go-to resource on your journey with the Noom diet program.
They’ll be there to walk you through the journey, and you can work one-on-one with them via the Noom app.
4. Daily Checklist
Once you’ve officially started the Noom program, you’ll get a daily checklist, that services as a reminder for what you need to do that day to stay on track.
It includes things like:
- Your Daily Weigh-in Reminder
- Meal Logging Reminder
- Suggested Readings for the Day: Usually articles that are informational or for motivation
- Quiz: They”ll test you on things you’ve learned since joining.
5. Noom Food List
Noom has one of the largest food databases on the planet, which is for you to use to make healthy eating choices.
They categorize foods by three colors: Green, Yellow, Red. Not surprisingly, green foods are ones you can eat freely, yellow foods in moderation, and red foods very sparingly.
Noom Pros & Cons
Noom has mostly positives, in our opinion, but there are some potential downsides to consider.
Let’s start with the cons:
- All Online: For some, the possibility of in-person meetings is more convenient
- Have to make most of your own meals
- Pretty pricey: About $50 per month
- Backed by Science & Years of Research
- Easy to Use
- Work One-on-One with a Noom Coach
- Learn Healthy Habits
- Not a Quick Fix Program or Fad Diet
- One of the Largest Food Databases Available
- A Plan Designed Just for You
- Based on the Latest Technology and Research
- Works on Most Smartphones and Tablets: Apple, Android, Amazon, etc.
- See Exactly How Long it’ll Take to Reach Your Goals
- Connect with Your Own Noom Community: Support, Conversation, Etc.
- Free Trial
Real Customer Testimonials: The Good…and the Complaints
Noom has been plastered all over the internet lately, with thousands of customers posting their results and testimonials on social media.
If you use Instagram or Facebook, it’s pretty much guaranteed that you’ve seen something about Noom, most of it probably positive.
That said, let’s look at what some of these customers are saying. Most of the testimonials used here were pulled from Trustpilot , which is a pretty trusted resource for reviews from verified customers. Noom has more than 10,280 reviews there, which is a fairly large body to pull from.
Laura credits Noom for getting the best from her:
Best way to get to your best self. I love Noom. Tried everything else over the years. It’s like having an angel in your pocket. Never felt better.
Sarah says it’s not like any other diet out there:
Noom is different than anything I have ever tried. I am learning so much and it is working well for me. I am not only losing weight, but I am also gaining confidence with in myself and changing how I think about success! Wish I would have done this sooner.
Naomi is shocked by her results:
Blown away. Honestly I keep pinching myself that this is actually working. I am losing weight successfully and consistently and with minimal struggle. I HIGHLY recommend this program.
While Noom works great for most people, there are some who haven’t had a positive experience. For those, there are some other Noom alternatives they may want to consider. Here were some of the top complaints we saw reported.
The cancellation process seems to be an issue for some customers:
Noom is like a subscription that automatically renews you can never cancel you will get to a point where you want to do in on your own and could but they won’t let you.
Noom actually followed up on this comment, and had their support team personally reach out to this customer, so hopefully their issues were resolved.
Another customer said Noom wasn’t any different than counting calories (we respectfully disagree):
This is just counting calories with an expensive coach. I can lose weight on 1400 calories/day, but don’t believe it’s a sustainable strategy. Also the app loses info constantly requiring duplicate entries of every ingredient of every meal.
Again, Noom responded to this complaint, and was going to have their customer support team reach out to patch things up.
The big takeaway for me when reading through the negative reviews? Noom responded to pretty much negative review I saw, which tells me their committed to making their customers happy.
How to Become a Noom Coach
Your Noom Coach isn’t selected out of thin air – their is a very specific and detailed training they must complete in order to become an official Noom Coach .
Here are some of the criteria your Noom Coach must meet:
- Attend “Noomiversity” Recognized by the International Consortium for Health & Wellness Training
- Complete the Core Lifestyle Coach Training at Noomiversity
- Weekly Trainings They Must Complete to Stay Certified
- Must Have an Associates or Bachelors Degree in a Qualified Program
- 2,000 of Experience in Their Field: Nutrition, Personal Coaching, Etc.
Noom Cost: How Much per Month?
Noom costs $59 per month if you sign up for their monthly auto-recurring plan. You can save money if you commit to more months at a time.
Here’s a look at some of their other pricing options – remember that all of these prices are contingent on you enrolling in their auto-recurring option:
- 1 Month: $59
- 2 Month: $99
- 4 Month: $129
- 6 Month: $149
- 8 Month: $159
- Annual: $199
As you can see, you can basically get a year’s subscription for less than what you’d pay if you were on their monthly plan for just 4 months.
The best part?
You can try Noom for 14-days, risk free, which gives you time to decide which plan you want to sign up for, and if it’s even the right diet for you.
We’d say Noom is definitely worth it, especially considering everything that it brings to the table. Keep in mind, though, individual results are going to vary, and it takes commitment and effort to lose weight
That said, it’s pretty hard to find a diet program that features:
- One-on-One Diet Coaching
- Tells You How Long it Will Take You to Reach Your Goal Weight
- Is Focused on the Long-Term vs. Short-Term Results
- Teaches Habits You Can Use for Life
- Connects You with Your Own Weight Loss Community
- Can Be Purchased for as Little as $16.58 per Month
- Offers a Free Trial
It’s for all of these reasons, and more, that we’re happy to recommend Noom to any adult looking for a fast and healthy way to reach their goal weight.
- Carolyn Williams, PHD, RD, Noom is the Diet Taking Over Instagram, but Does it Work? Cooking Light. Found at https://web.noom.com/blog/2018/09/noom-is-the-diet-taking-over-instagram-but-does-it-work/
- Jaclyn London, MS, RD, CDN, What is the Noom Diet? A Nutritionist Explains How the App Can Help You Lose Weight. Good Housekeeping. Found at https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/a26023584/noom-diet-plan-review/
- Find out how much weight you’ll lose for good with Noom’s free 30-second online evaluation, Noom. Found at https://noom.com
- Noom Reviews, TrustPilot. Found at https://www.trustpilot.com/review/noom.com
- Alexa, How to Become a Virtual Health Coach with Noom. Single Moms Income. Found at https://singlemomsincome.com/how-to-become-a-virtual-health-coach-with-noom/
- See how Noom compares to Lose it!
- See how Noom compares to Weight Watchers