Last Updated on
Lookin for an honest Noom review? Well, in today’s modern age, finding a weight loss program that features the latest diet technology and can sometimes seem difficult.
Many weight loss programs really are stuck in the past, but one stands out for the perfect blend of the latest technological features, combined with proven weight loss methods, to form the perfect modern-day health solution.
It’s called the Noom diet app – a weight loss and coaching app that is currently taking over the internet and a ton of people are using .
In this Noom review we’re going to detail what is causing all of this excitement. Keep reading, and you’ll learn exactly what the Noom weight loss app is, who is using it, how it really works, approved foods, the cost to join, plus you’ll hear from those who have put it to the test, and actually improved their health in a short amount of time.
If you’ve been looking for the latest details on the way the Noom diet app works, then you may find this review really helpful.
What is Noom?
It is a weight loss app that focuses on helping you make lasting changes to your weight and health , with small healthy habits and steps each week. This means, you’ll be using the Noom diet app to help track food, your daily exercise, and you’ll also learn how to lose weight, permanently. Basically everything you need to know to be successful.
Quick fix diet apps? Those apps are a thing of the past. It’s all about long term health, while also providing a weight loss and eating plan people may want to follow for life.
How do they help make this happen?
By teaching you small changes you can make each week, and it all takes place on their lifestyle app. The weight loss app may be your go-to resource to follow and track your progress over the coming weeks: Find help from your goal specialist (coach), interact with the people in your group, access exercise and eating guidelines, and also see foods to eat and foods to avoid.
All of this combines to help you ditch bad eating habits, and replace them with really good habits you can follow long term, or even for life. As the weeks go on, this may well become your new normal, and you’ll wonder you ever tried those other apps in the first place.
How Does it Work?
The weight loss program is entirely online, via the app that you will use on your smartphone or tablet to track and log everything each week.
There are a few steps you’ll need to take to register for the program, however:
1. Complete Your Profile
The first thing you’ll need to do to register for the Noom app is to complete your profile . This series of questions is a way that helps them get to know you better – along with how much weight you may want to lose, any health issues you might have, they food you’ve been eating, and about how long it’s really going to take to reach your ideal weight. It doesn’t take much time – maybe five minutes at most, and remember, it’s the way they’re going to get to know you and develop a personalized plan for your long term health goals.
The following is an example of some the lifestyle questions most people may be asked:
- Your Age
- Goal Weight
- Other Diets You’ve Tried
- Your Current Activity Level
- Whether or Not You’re Diabetic
- Have You Taken Antibiotics in the Last 2 Years
- Do You Have any Serious Back Issues?
- Are You Risk for Certain Diseases?
- What Your Daily Schedule Looks Like
- Do You Like to Cook or Eat at Restaurants mostly? What Food Do You Eat?
- Where do You Live: The Country, Suburbs, or a City?
As people answer these questions, their algorithm is at work developing a plan built just for you.
2. See Your Daily Calorie Level for Reaching Your Goal Weight
Based on the information you’ve provided, including your goal weight, they will tell you how many calories you should eat per day to reach your goal. Then, once you’ve joined, people can also access the foods they should eat and approximately how many weeks it will take to reach their goal weight.
Access the app to log your food and track progress.
3. Meet Your Coach
After completing your profile, you’ll also be assigned a goal specialist who you’ll work with over the coming weeks. Your goal specialist will be a very helpful resource on your journey with the program, and are a helpful personal resource as needed.
They’ll be there to walk you through your journey of personal change, show you the food to eat, log milestones, share helpful content, tools you should be using, give lifestyle tips, and work with you via the app.
4. Daily Checklist
Once you’ve officially started the program, you’ll have access to a daily checklist, that will help serve as a reminder for what you need to do that day to stay on track and make a positive personal change.
It includes things like:
- Your Daily Weigh-in & Tracking Reminder
- Meal Eating and Food Tracking Reminder: Green, Yellow, Red Foods
- Suggested Self Help Articles and Content for the Day: Articles to read that are designed to help keep you in the know with timely information and content.
- Goals Setting
- Quiz: They”ll test you on things you’ve learned from their content since joining. You’ll like this exciting daily challenge, and it’ll help keep you on track.
5. Connect with Your Group (fellow Noom App users)
Think connecting with a group may help you on your weight loss journey? Good news – once you’re enrolled, you’ll be connected with your own Noom app group that is made up of other users. Here you will connect with fellow Noomers, meet new friends, get tips and feedback from others, and stay on track.
6. Noom Food List
The Noom food list is one of the largest food databases on the planet, which is for you to use to make healthy eating choices.
They categorize foods by three colors: Green Foods, Yellow Foods, and Red Foods.
Not surprisingly, green foods are ones you can eat freely (most are naturally low in calories), yellow foods in moderation, and red foods very sparingly. App customers like the straight forward approach to healthy eating. Your greatest chance at success? Stick with mostly green food, mix in some yellow foods, and mostly avoid the red.
When they read the food list, people will learn the calorie content of the food they eat. Stick to green food, and your calorie content will remain naturally low for the day; eat red food, and the calorie content is noticeably higher.
We like that this helps make planning your foods and meals much easier, by giving you a clear blueprint to follow. Stick to the food list, and meal and calorie tracking is a breeze as well. Plus, the food list is something you can follow for long term health.
Noom Pros & Cons
The Noom App has mostly positives, in our opinion, but there are some potential downsides to consider.
Let’s start with the cons:
- All Online: For some, the possibility of in-person meetings is more convenient
- Have to make most of your own meals
- Pretty pricey: About $50 per month
- Backed by Science & Years of Research
- Easy to Use
- Work One-on-One to Reach Your Goals at No Extra Cost
- Built-in Tracking: Customers Like the User-Friendliness
- Learn Healthy Eating & Exercise Habits
- Not a Quick Fix Program: Change Behavior Over Time
- One of the Largest Food Databases Available
- Huge Database of Helpful Articles and Information
- An Eating Plan Designed Just for You
- Based on the Latest Technology and Research
- Works on Most Smartphones and Tablets: Apple, Android, Amazon, etc.
- See Exactly How Long it’ll Take to Reach Your Goals
- Connect with Your Own Community: Support, Conversation, Etc.
- Free Trial Available (learn more here)
Real Customer Testimonials: Positive + Complaints
Noom has been plastered all over the internet lately, with thousands of users posting their weight loss stories and testimonials on social media.
If you use Instagram or Facebook, it’s pretty much guaranteed that you’ve seen something about the app, with most users reporting a positive experience.
That said, let’s look at what some of these customers are saying. Most of the testimonials used here were pulled from Trustpilot , which is a trusted resource for testimonials from verified customers. There are more than 10,280 customer testimonials there you may want to read. This is a fairly large body to pull from, so we feel comfortable sharing some of them here so you can see what others are saying. Let’s start with what customers like:
Laura credits it for getting the most from her:
Best way to get to your best self. I love Noom. Tried everything else over the years. It’s like having an angel in your pocket. Never felt better.
Sarah says Noom is unique when it comes to weight loss:
Noom is different than anything I have ever tried. I am learning so much and it is working well for me. I am not only losing weight, but I am also gaining confidence with in myself and changing how I think about success! Wish I would have done this sooner.
Naomi was shocked by her results:
Blown away. Honestly I keep pinching myself that this is actually working. I am losing weight successfully and consistently and with minimal struggle. I HIGHLY recommend this program.
While it works great for most people, there may be some who haven’t had a positive experience. For those, there are some other Noom alternatives they may want to consider. Here were some of the top complaints we saw reported.
The cancellation process seems to be an issue for some customers:
Noom is like a subscription that automatically renews you can never cancel you will get to a point where you want to do in on your own and could but they won’t let you.
Noom actually followed up on this comment, and had their support team personally reach out to this customer, so hopefully their issues were resolved.
Another customer said the app wasn’t any different than tracking calories (we respectfully disagree):
This is just counting calories with an expensive coach. I can lose weight on 1400 calories/day, but don’t believe it’s a sustainable strategy. Also the app loses info constantly requiring duplicate entries of every ingredient of every meal.
Again, they responded to this complaint, and was going to have their customer support team reach out to patch things up.
The big takeaway for me when reading through the complaints? Customer support responded to pretty much negative review I saw, which tells me they’re committed to making their customers happy.
Overall, we feel very comfortable recommending Noom to anyone looking to improve their health, feel better, and who wants to change their behavior so they can make lasting changes.
How to Become a Noom Coach
Coaches aren’t selected out of thin air – there is a very specific and detailed training they must complete .
Here are some of the criteria they must meet:
- Attend “Noomiversity” Recognized by the International Consortium for Health & Wellness Training
- Complete the Core Lifestyle Training at Noomiversity
- Weekly Trainings They Must Complete to Stay Certified
- Must Have an Associates or Bachelors Degree in a Qualified Program
- 2,000 of Experience in Their Field: Nutrition, Personal Coaching, Etc.
Noom Cost: How Much per Month?
Noom costs $59 per month if you sign up for their monthly auto-recurring plan. You can save money if you commit to more months at a time.
Here’s a look at some of their other pricing options – remember that all of these prices are contingent on you enrolling in their auto-recurring option:
- 1 Month: $59
- 2 Month: $99
- 4 Month: $129
- 6 Month: $149
- 8 Month: $159
- Annual: $199
As you can see, you can basically get a year’s subscription for less than what you’d pay if you were on their monthly plan for just 4 months.
The best part?
You can try Noom for free for 14-days, which gives you time to decide which plan you want to sign up for, and if it’s even the right app for you.
Review & Pricing Summary
We’d say Noom is definitely worth it, especially considering everything that it brings to the table.
Keep in mind, though, individual results are going to vary, and it takes commitment and effort to lose weight
That said, it’s pretty hard to find a diet program that features:
- One-on-One Support
- Tells You How Long it Will Take You to Reach Your Goal Weight
- Is Focused on the Long-Term vs. Short-Term Results
- Teaches Eating and Exercise Habits You Can Use for Life
- Connects You with Your Own Weight Loss Community
- Can Be Purchased for as Little as $16.58 per Month
- Offers a Free Trial
It’s for all of these reasons, and more, that we’re happy to recommend Noom to any adult looking for a fast and healthy way to reach their goal weight.
Think Noom sounds like the right fit?
- Carolyn Williams, PHD, RD, Noom is the Diet Taking Over Instagram, but Does it Work? Cooking Light. Found at https://web.noom.com/blog/2018/09/noom-is-the-diet-taking-over-instagram-but-does-it-work/
- Jaclyn London, MS, RD, CDN, What is the Noom Diet? A Nutritionist Explains How the App Can Help You Lose Weight. Good Housekeeping. Found at https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/a26023584/noom-diet-plan-review/
- Find out how much weight you’ll lose for good with Noom’s free 30-second online evaluation, Noom. Found at https://noom.com
- TrustPilot. Found at https://www.trustpilot.com/review/noom.com
- Alexa, How to Become a Virtual Health Coach with Noom. Single Moms Income. Found at https://singlemomsincome.com/how-to-become-a-virtual-health-coach-with-noom/
- See how it compares to Lose it!
- See how it compares to Weight Watchers
- See how it compares to MyFitnessPal
- Nutrisystem Before and After Success Stories + Pictures & Video - June 29, 2020
- Salmon Red Quinoa on Asparagus with Lime Cilantro Sauce - February 18, 2020
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Tacos Grilled Pineapple Salsa - February 17, 2020