Last Updated on
In today’s modern age, finding a diet program that features the latest technology and can sometimes seem difficult.
Many programs are stuck in the past, but one stands out for it’s perfect blend of the latest technological features, combined with proven weight loss methods, to form the perfect modern-day health solution.
It’s called Noom, and it’s a weight loss and coaching app that is currently taking over the internet .
In this Noom review we’re going to detail what is causing all of this excitement. Keep reading, and you’ll learn exactly what it is, how it works, the foods you’ll eat, how much it’s going to cost to join, plus you’ll hear from those who have put it to the test, and actually improved their health in a short amount of time.
If you’ve been looking for the latest details on Noom, then you should find review helpful.
What is Noom?
It is an app that focuses on helping you make lasting changes to your weight and health , with small steps each week. This means, you’ll track what food to eat, the exercise to get, and you’ll also learn how to lose weight, permanently.
Quick fix diets? They’re a thing of the past. It’s all about health, and providing an eating plan people can follow for life.
How do they make this happen?
By teaching you small changes you can make each week, and itt all takes place on their lifestyle app. The app will be your go-to resource to follow and track your progress over the coming weeks: Talk to your coach, interact with the people in your group, get exercise and eating plans, and see foods to eat and foods to avoid.
All of this combines to help you ditch bad eating habits, and replace them with good habits. As the weeks go on, this should become your new normal.
How Does it Work?
The program is entirely online, via the app that you will use on your smartphone or tablet to track everything each week.
There are a few steps you’ll need to undertake to get registered, however.
1. Complete Your Profile
The first thing you’ll need to do to get registered is to complete your profile . This series of questions helps them get a better idea of how much weight you want to lose, any health issues you might have, they food you’ve been eating, and about how long it’s going to take to reach your goal weight.
The following is an example of some the lifestyle questions most people be asked:
- Your Age
- Goal Weight
- Other Diets You’ve Tried
- Your Current Activity Level
- Whether or Not You’re Diabetic
- Have You Taken Antibiotics in the Last 2 Years
- Do You Have any Serious Back Issues?
- Are You Risk for Certain Diseases?
- What Your Daily Schedule Looks Like
- Do You Cook or Eat at Restaurants mostly? What Food Do You Eat?
- Where do You Live: The Country, Suburbs, or a City?
As people answer these questions, their algorithm is at work developing a plan built just for you.
2. See Your Daily Calorie Level for Reaching Your Goal Weight
Based on the information you’ve provided, including your goal weight, they will tell you how many calories you should eat per day to reach your goal. Then, once you’ve joined, people can see the foods they should eat and approximately how many weeks it will take to get there.
3. Meet Your Coach
After completing your profile, you’ll also be assigned a person who you’ll work one-on-one with over the coming weeks. They will be a very helpful resource on your journey with the program, and are a helpful personal resource as needed.
They’ll be there to walk you through your journey of personal change, show you the food to eat, give lifestyle tips, and work one-on-one with you via the app.
4. Daily Checklist
Once you’ve officially started the program, you’ll get a daily checklist, that services as a reminder for what you need to do that day to stay on track and make a positive personal change.
It includes things like:
- Your Daily Weigh-in & Tracking Reminder
- Meal Eating and Food Tracking Reminder
- Suggested Articles for the Day: Usually articles to read that are informational or for motivation
- Goals Setting
- Quiz: They”ll test you on things you’ve learned since joining.
5. Noom Food List
The Noom food list is one of the largest food databases on the planet, which is for you to use to make healthy eating choices.
They categorize foods by three colors: Green Foods, Yellow Foods, and Red Foods.
Not surprisingly, green foods are ones you can eat freely, yellow foods in moderation, and red foods very sparingly.
When they read the food list, people will learn the calorie content of the food they eat. Stick to green food, and your calorie content will remain naturally low for the day; eat red food, and the calorie content is much higher.
We feel, this helps make planning your meals much easier, by giving you a clear blueprint to follow. Stick to the food list, and meal and calorie tracking is a breeze as well.
Noom Pros & Cons
Noom has mostly positives, in our opinion, but there are some potential downsides to consider.
Let’s start with the cons:
- All Online: For some, the possibility of in-person meetings is more convenient
- Have to make most of your own meals
- Pretty pricey: About $50 per month
- Backed by Science & Years of Research
- Easy to Use
- Work One-on-One to Reach Your Goals at No Extra Cost
- Built-in Tracking
- Learn Healthy Eating & Exercise Habits
- Not a Quick Fix Program: Change Behavior Over Time
- One of the Largest Food Databases Available
- An Eating Plan Designed Just for You
- Based on the Latest Technology and Research
- Works on Most Smartphones and Tablets: Apple, Android, Amazon, etc.
- See Exactly How Long it’ll Take to Reach Your Goals
- Connect with Your Own Community: Support, Conversation, Etc.
- 2-Week Free Trial Available
Real Customer Testimonials: Positive + Complaints
Noom has been plastered all over the internet lately, with thousands of users posting their results and testimonials on social media.
If you use Instagram or Facebook, it’s pretty much guaranteed that you’ve seen something about the app, with most users reporting a positive experience.
That said, let’s look at what some of these customers are saying. Most of the testimonials used here were pulled from Trustpilot , which is a pretty trusted resource for reviews from verified customers. There are more than 10,280 reviews there, which is a fairly large body to pull from, so we feel comfortable sharing some of them here.
Laura credits it for getting the best from her:
Best way to get to your best self. I love Noom. Tried everything else over the years. It’s like having an angel in your pocket. Never felt better.
Sarah says it’s not like any others out there:
Noom is different than anything I have ever tried. I am learning so much and it is working well for me. I am not only losing weight, but I am also gaining confidence with in myself and changing how I think about success! Wish I would have done this sooner.
Naomi was shocked by her results:
Blown away. Honestly I keep pinching myself that this is actually working. I am losing weight successfully and consistently and with minimal struggle. I HIGHLY recommend this program.
While it works great for most people, there are some who haven’t had a positive experience. For those, there are some other Noom alternatives they may want to consider. Here were some of the top complaints we saw reported.
The cancellation process seems to be an issue for some customers:
Noom is like a subscription that automatically renews you can never cancel you will get to a point where you want to do in on your own and could but they won’t let you.
Noom actually followed up on this comment, and had their support team personally reach out to this customer, so hopefully their issues were resolved.
Another customer said the app wasn’t any different than tracking calories (we respectfully disagree):
This is just counting calories with an expensive coach. I can lose weight on 1400 calories/day, but don’t believe it’s a sustainable strategy. Also the app loses info constantly requiring duplicate entries of every ingredient of every meal.
Again, they responded to this complaint, and was going to have their customer support team reach out to patch things up.
The big takeaway for me when reading through the negative reviews? Customer support responded to pretty much negative review I saw, which tells me they’re committed to making their customers happy.
Overall, we feel very comfortable recommending Noom to anyone looking to improve their health, feel better, and who wants to change their behavior so they can make lasting changes.
How to Become a Noom Coach
Coaches aren’t selected out of thin air – there is a very specific and detailed training they must complete .
Here are some of the criteria they must meet:
- Attend “Noomiversity” Recognized by the International Consortium for Health & Wellness Training
- Complete the Core Lifestyle Training at Noomiversity
- Weekly Trainings They Must Complete to Stay Certified
- Must Have an Associates or Bachelors Degree in a Qualified Program
- 2,000 of Experience in Their Field: Nutrition, Personal Coaching, Etc.
Noom Cost: How Much per Month?
Noom costs $59 per month if you sign up for their monthly auto-recurring plan. You can save money if you commit to more months at a time.
Here’s a look at some of their other pricing options – remember that all of these prices are contingent on you enrolling in their auto-recurring option:
- 1 Month: $59
- 2 Month: $99
- 4 Month: $129
- 6 Month: $149
- 8 Month: $159
- Annual: $199
As you can see, you can basically get a year’s subscription for less than what you’d pay if you were on their monthly plan for just 4 months.
The best part?
You can try Noom for free for 14-days, which gives you time to decide which plan you want to sign up for, and if it’s even the right app for you.
Review & Pricing Summary
We’d say Noom is definitely worth it, especially considering everything that it brings to the table.
Keep in mind, though, individual results are going to vary, and it takes commitment and effort to lose weight
That said, it’s pretty hard to find a diet program that features:
- One-on-One Support
- Tells You How Long it Will Take You to Reach Your Goal Weight
- Is Focused on the Long-Term vs. Short-Term Results
- Teaches Eating and Exercise Habits You Can Use for Life
- Connects You with Your Own Weight Loss Community
- Can Be Purchased for as Little as $16.58 per Month
- Offers a Free Trial
It’s for all of these reasons, and more, that we’re happy to recommend Noom to any adult looking for a fast and healthy way to reach their goal weight.
- Carolyn Williams, PHD, RD, Noom is the Diet Taking Over Instagram, but Does it Work? Cooking Light. Found at https://web.noom.com/blog/2018/09/noom-is-the-diet-taking-over-instagram-but-does-it-work/
- Jaclyn London, MS, RD, CDN, What is the Noom Diet? A Nutritionist Explains How the App Can Help You Lose Weight. Good Housekeeping. Found at https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/a26023584/noom-diet-plan-review/
- Find out how much weight you’ll lose for good with Noom’s free 30-second online evaluation, Noom. Found at https://noom.com
- Noom Reviews, TrustPilot. Found at https://www.trustpilot.com/review/noom.com
- Alexa, How to Become a Virtual Health Coach with Noom. Single Moms Income. Found at https://singlemomsincome.com/how-to-become-a-virtual-health-coach-with-noom/
- See how it compares to Lose it!
- See how it compares to Weight Watchers
- See how it compares to MyFitnessPal