This burger is better! A meatless meat-lover’s burger, this is a full-flavor burger with the perfect combination of toasted pecans, mushrooms, aged Cheddar, herbs and, of course, red quinoa. These patties hold together well for freezing, making for a quick and easy meal.
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- ½ cup (125 mL) red quinoa
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) grapeseed oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced onions
- 2 cups (500 mL) finely chopped cremini or white button mushrooms
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced garlic
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) dried marjoram
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) dried oregano
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) shredded reduced-fat aged Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup (125 mL) toasted pecans, finely chopped (toasting instructions below)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats (gluten-free if required)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sodium-reduced soy sauce or tamari (gluten-free if required)
Preheat the oven to 350°f (180°c). Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment. Combine the water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for another 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion starts to become soft and transparent. Add the mushrooms, garlic, marjoram and oregano; cook for another 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender. Set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Add the quinoa, mushroom mixture, cheese, toasted pecans, oats and soy sauce. Scoop 1/2-cup (125 mL) portions of the mixture onto the baking sheet and shape into 8 or 9 patties 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick, leaving 1 inch (2.5 cm) between them. Bake for 27 to 30 minutes, until slightly browned and crispy on the edges. Serve with your favorite burger garnishes.
PER SERVING: Energy 150 calories; Protein 7 g; Carbohydrates 13 g; Dietary Fiber 2 g; Fat 9 g; Sugar 2 g; Cholesterol 25 mg; Sodium 130 mg
These burgers can also be fried in an oiled skillet or grilled on a barbecue baking sheet. To toast nuts, preheat the oven to 350°f (180°c). Spread the nuts evenly on a baking sheet and toast in the oven, stirring once if necessary, for 5 to 7 minutes, until fragrant and lightly toasted.
Find more recipes here.